PCS School Libraries & Databases
Thanks to a community parcel tax passed by the citizens of Petaluma in 2008, Petaluma City Schools is able to employ four of the seven full-time credentialed Teacher-Librarians in Sonoma County. Casa Grande and Petaluma High School maintain two fully staffed libraries, which include credentialed Teacher-Librarians and an Assistant Librarian at each site. Kenilworth Junior High and Petaluma Junior High Schools both employ full-time Teacher-Librarians. Part-time classified Library Technicians work hard to maintain libraries at the seven elementary schools. Our libraries promote the importance of reading for pleasure and personal growth, digital and media literacy, student access to print and digital research materials, and provide an environment for academic and social activities.
California K-12 Digital Resources
Online content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, ProQuest research databases, and TeachingBooks.net are available — at school, at home, in libraries, on laptops, on phones — to all.
These three databases are provided for all California students from the California State Library.
Encyclopaedia Britannica (PreK-12)
A comprehensive interactive resource for research and learning for grades K-12. Includes correlations to California Content Standards and other valuable teacher resources. Post links directly to each school level, elementary, middle or high.
ProQuest (Grades 3-12)
- CultureGrams - Concise social, cultural, and political information on countries, U.S. states, and provinces around the world. (Grades 3-12)
- SIRS Discoverer - A general reference database providing safe, reliable, curriculum-aligned content and features for use by students and educators. (Grades 3-9)
- SIRS Issues Researcher - Pros and cons on 360+ (and growing) complex social issues with relevant, credible information that tells the whole story on the major questions of the day. (Grades 6+)
- eLibrary - Guided Research edition delivers one of the largest general reference collections of periodical and digital media content including more than 11,000 Research Topics (Grades 6+)
- eLibrary - Database Edition General reference aggregation of periodical and digital media content with editorial guidance for novice researchers. (Grades 6+)
- ProQuest Central Student - designed to bring instant results to users across thousands of journals, magazines, newspapers, videos, reports, and more. This resource brings together some of ProQuest's most used databases in education, humanities, psychology, science, social sciences, and news. (Grades 9+, IB, AP, College Prep)
- ProQuest Research Companion - a self-guided product that supports information literacy, writing, and research skills instruction.(Grades 8+)
- Schools & Educators Complete - eBook subscription database of over 13,000 titles that supports English Language Arts, Science, Math, Social Studies, Health, Physical Education, Information Literacy and Technology. (Grades 9+, possibly some content for Middle School, also includes professional development content for faculty)
The Databases can be accessed by PCS Staff and Students without needing to log in while connected to the PCS network. These databases can be accessed from outside of the PCS network, but require login credentials. PCS staff and students can access these login credentials on the PCS Database Credentials document. This document is only accessible to PCS staff and students, and these credential should only be used by PCS staff and students.
LumaCon! is a Comic Book Convention for Youth produced as a collaboration between the Casa Grande, Petaluma High, and the Petaluma Regional Library. School-age artists sit side by side with professional and award winning local artists. This fun event promotes youth literary, creativity and directly benefits the partner libraries.
For more information visit Lumacon.net