• Q. What is the difference between Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten?
    A. If your child turns 5 years old on or before September 1st, they should enroll in Kindergarten. Kindergarten is a 1 year program to prepare students for 1st grade.
    If your child turns 5 slightly later, between September 1st December 1st, they are definitely eligible for Transitional Kindergarten (TK!)! If your child turns 5 even later, between December 1st and August 1st, they might be eligible for TK! TK is a publicly funded program that delivers developmentally appropriate curriculum. It is part of a 2-year program to prepare students for 1st grade. 
    For more detailed information, see the CDE FAQ page for TK!
    Q. Should I enroll my child in TK, or Kindergarten?
    A. The age guidelines above are recommendations from the State of California. At Petaluma City Schools, we are happy to speak with you about the advantages of the TK and K programs. There are waivers that permit Kindergarten-aged students to enroll in TK. There are also waivers that permit students to go directly to 1st grade after TK. Please speak with the principal for more information!
    Q. What program will be best for my child?
    A. We know-- the age guidelines are confusing! Please call McDowell (707) 778-4745 to arrange a tour for you and your child. The principal will be glad to speak to you about the advantages of these programs, and what may be best for your 4-5 year old.
    Q. I work late. Do you have after school care for my TK or Kindergarten student?
    A. Yes! TK-5th grade students receive low-cost after school care through Boys & Girls Club of Central and Sonoma County. You can pick up your student any time between 1:50 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. on regular days and 11:50 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. on short day Wednesdays. With ample supervision and many fun activities, your student will get practice on skills they are learning in class, and have high quality social interactions with peers. This program is extremely affordable-- please call our office for more information (707) 778-4745.