McKinley Accelerated Program (MAP)
For information on enrolling in MAP, go here.
The McKinley Accelerated Program (MAP) was founded in 2012. Our mission is to engage GATE-identified and high-achieving students in a dynamic, rigorous, and personalized 4th-6th grade learning experience with the end goal of preparing them to become global citizens, problem solvers, and leaders.
Successful candidates are persistent, resilient, and self-directed students who are interested in and prepared for engaging in a dynamic, rigorous, and fast-paced academic environment. Students are independent workers who are organized and responsible with classwork and homework, and can manage the pace and demands of an accelerated classroom. They love grappling with challenging ideas, concepts, and topics, and they currently meet or exceed grade-level standards in reading, writing, and mathematics.
- Personalized 4th-6th-grade learning experience
- Character development, friendship, and team building experiences
- Inquiry-based and student-driven learning
- Ongoing feedback cycle within the classroom and between the grade levels
- Opportunities for independent learning (ongoing extension projects and culminating Genius Hour project) based on student interest
- Rigorous academic focus
- Model designed to allow students to explore concepts in a deeper way
- Curriculum is compacted and accelerated to allow for a deeper and more complex engagement with content/concepts
- Hands-on, inquiry-, and project-based learning
- Additional use of pedagogy for accelerated learners (Icons of Depth and Complexity, Universal Themes)
- Spanish-language instruction through content
- Innovative Instructional Core Curriculum
- Language Arts integration across curriculum
- Simulation-based and experiential Social Studies curriculum
- Math application and synthesis of conceptual learning
- Hands-on and inquiry-based Science curriculum
- Spanish-language acquisition through content
- Music instruction
- Opportunities for self-directed, elective courses
- Hands-on experiences allowing for deeper understanding
- Service-learning projects
2020 MAP Prospective Family Information Night
Details coming soon!
2020 MAP Tours
Details coming soon!