Immunization Requirements & Policies
Health & Immunization Requirements
- The Petaluma City Schools District requires a child to have a physical examination and oral health assessment prior to entering kindergarten.
- At the time of kindergarten enrollment, parents are asked to provide the school with the scheduled appointment date for the physical exam.
- Children will not be admitted to a classroom in the fall unless the physical exam has been completed.
- Examination between March and the start of school meet both the K and 1st-grade examination request.
- At the time of enrollment, proof of complete immunization records must be verified. It is required by California State law that all students have complete records of immunizations prior to entering kindergarten. Students will not be admitted to a classroom unless the immunizations are up-to-date.
California schools are required to check immunization records for all new student admissions at TK/Kindergarten through 12th grade and all students advancing to 7th grade before entry. Parents must show their child’s Immunization Record as proof of immunization.
To request a medical exemption for your child, the first step is to register for a CAIR-ME account at : CDPH CAIR-ME.
The PCS Illness policy provides guidance on when to keep your student home from school.
PCS Illness Policy - English (revised May 2022)
A link to the CDPH site for medical exemptions.
Shots Required for K-12
A link to the Shots for Schools website.
Pertussis bacteria spread through the air when people cough. It can start like a common cold, and then progresses to a cough that might get worse over the next 1-2 weeks. [Click Above to Read More]