Health & Immunization Requirements
- The Petaluma City Schools District requires a child to have a physical examination and oral health assessment prior to entering kindergarten.
- At the time of kindergarten enrollment, parents are asked to provide the school with the scheduled appointment date for the physical exam.
- Children will not be admitted to a classroom in the fall unless the physical exam has been completed.
- Examination between March and the start of school meet both the K and 1st-grade examination request.
- At the time of enrollment, proof of complete immunization records must be verified. It is required by California State law that all students have complete records of immunizations prior to entering kindergarten. Children will not be admitted to a classroom unless the immunizations are up-to-date.
- Downloadable PDF from the California Department of Public Health - English
- Downloadable PDF from the California Department of Public Health - Spanish
Students Admitted at TK/K-12 Need:
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, Tdap, or Td) — 5 doses (4 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday. 3 doses OK if one was given on or after 7th birthday.) For 7th-12th graders, at least 1 dose of pertussis-containing vaccine is required on or after 7th birthday.
- Polio (OPV or IPV) — 4 doses (3 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday)
- Hepatitis B — 3 doses (Not required for 7th-grade entry)
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) — 2 doses (Both given on or after 1st birthday)
- Varicella (Chickenpox) — 2 doses
These immunization requirements apply to new admissions and transfers for all grades, including transitional kindergarten.
Students Starting 7th Grade Need:
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) —1 dose (Whooping cough booster is usually given at 11 years and up)
- Varicella (Chickenpox) — 2 doses (Usually given at ages 12 months and 4-6 years)
In addition, the TK/K-12 immunization requirements apply to 7th graders who:
- Previously had a valid personal beliefs exemption filed before 2016 upon entry between TK/Kindergarten and 6th grade
- Are new admissions
California schools are required to check immunization records for all new student admissions at TK/Kindergarten through 12th grade and all students advancing to 7th grade before entry. Parents must show their child’s Immunization Record as proof of immunization.