Transitional Kindergarten (TK)
2023-24 School Year
- Enrollment in TK for the 2023-24 school year will be open to students who turn five by May 2, 2024.
- Priority for the TK program in the 2023-24 school year will be given to students who turn five between September 2, 2023 and April 2, 2024.
- If your child turns 5 after May 2, and you are interested in being placed on our TK waitlist, please complete the TK Interest Form.
2022-23 School Year
- Enrollment in TK for 2022-23 is open to students who turn five by April 2, 2023.
- Priority for the Transitional Kindergarten program in the 2022-23 school year will be given to students who turn five between September 2, 2022 and February 2, 2023.
All PCS school sites offer Transitional Kindergarten:
Grant Elementary (707) 778-4742
Mary Collins at Cherry Valley (707) 778-4740
McDowell Elementary (707) 778-4745
McKinley School (707) 778-4750
McNear Elementary (707) 778-4752
Valley Vista Elementary (707) 778-4762
Penngrove Elementary (707) 778-4755
Contact school sites directly for more information about enrollment, or to schedule a tour of a transitional kindergarten classroom.
Our Transitional Kindergarten:
- Is part of the public school system and is free for families
- Uses a unique, specialized curriculum that is based on the kindergarten standards and is designed to support young 5-year-olds
- Is taught by credentialed teachers with training to teach young kindergartners
- Helps children develop socially and academically
What Happens in a Transitional Kindergarten Classroom?
In Transitional Kindergarten teachers help children develop social skills through activities that build confidence and communication. They also expose children to reading and math in an exciting, interactive way by using educational games to teach children about words and sentences and help them understand mathematical concepts like counting and patterns.
- Classroom facility and teacher: Transitional Kindergartners have their own classroom with their own teacher. Instructional assistants also support our TK classrooms.
- Length of school day: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are full days of learning; Wednesdays are shorter days. Please refer to your specific school's bell schedule for more information.
- Aftercare: All school sites offer aftercare for a fee.
- Shared activities: TK students participate in a variety of developmentally appropriate activities such as music and art throughout the year.
- Curriculum and learning: TK provides the opportunity to develop literacy and numeracy skills as well as build a classroom community in the supportive environment of an elementary school.
- Learning environment: TK students learn in a warm and welcoming classroom environment with a variety of small and large group instruction while cultivating independent exploration.
Why is Transitional Kindergarten Good for Kids?
Transitional Kindergarten provides children with an opportunity to learn in an enriching and academically challenging environment that nurtures their growth. Research shows that children who attend kindergarten readiness programs like Transitional Kindergarten are more likely to do well in school and attend college.
Parents all over California recognize the benefits of Transitional Kindergarten and many parents have already been enrolling their children in similar programs, public and private, for years. Transitional Kindergarten supports students with a strong educational foundation with a curriculum that is designed just for them.