• Assembly Bill (AB) 104 - Pass/No Pass Grades

    Under a new state law called AB 104, parents/guardians of students who were enrolled in high school during the 2020-21 school year may request to have a letter grade earned for a course changed to a Pass or No Pass on the student's transcript. Students who are currently over the age of 18 may submit a grade change to Pass or No Pass independently from their parent/guardian.

    The course requested for a Pass/No Pass must have been taken during the 2020-21 school year. There is no restriction on which courses or which letter grades can be changed.

    The change cannot negatively impact a student's GPA. When an “F” is converted to a “No Pass,” the zero credits are no longer factored into the GPA. Similarly, changing a “D” or even a “C” letter grade to a “Pass” will likely increase a student’s GPA, depending on the GPA the student had prior to the grade change.

    No grade changes will be made that lower a student’s GPA.

    How to Apply

    An official form to submit a grade change for Pass/No Pass is available here:

    Please note:

    • Parents/guardians (or students over 18) will have 15 calendar days to complete the form on behalf of the student. The form must be completed by 5:00 PM on October 1, 2021.
    • Per the legislation, districts may not accept requests for a grade change after that date.
    • Once a form is received by Petaluma City Schools, the district then has 15 days to make the change on the student’s transcript and notify the family.

    Families that need assistance in filling out the form can come to the District Office at 200 Douglas St, 94952 between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM.

    List of Postsecondary Institutions Accepting Pass/No Pass

    The California Department of Education has provided this list of postsecondary (after high school) institutions that will accept Pass or No Pass grades on the student’s transcript for admission purposes. View the California Department of Education's list of postsecondary institutions accepting Pass or No Pass grades here. This list does not include out-of-state locations.

    If your college, university or vocational/technical school is not listed, you are encouraged to reach out to their admissions office directly.

    Some postsecondary educational institutions, including those in other states, may not accept a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for admission purposes.