Consider doing one or many projects for Valley Oaks School such as:
- Ask any staff member if they have projects they need done that you could do or help with.
- Take down all the graduation/Bell Ringing Ceremony photos and restaple them on the walls of the computer lab in building #1.
- Make an 8th Grade Promotion Banner to help decorate the room for the ceremony
- Do one of our window boxes on the outside of building 1 or 2
- Hang the new t-shirt drawings from the New Student Packets and take down some old ones
- Fix-up the college information wall area in building #1
- Make cards with our VOS logo on them
- Make candy leis for the 8th grade promotion & Bright News! winners
- Make cupcakes for the 8th grade promotion
- Make a Welcome! Banner for school functions
- Fix up the school sign: re-paint it, fix the letters/numbers, just get the cobwebs off.
- Be a student speaker at a School Board meeting (May 8). Make a video of our school of this year’s events and activities and students
- Bake cookies for Open House, Back to School Night, or for the state testing days.
- Just come to Open House or Back to School Night and be a greeter and answer questions from parents
- Prepare a Holiday Delivery to our neighbors from VOS.
- Try to sell/promote VOS logo items. Do a fundraiser to purchase/offset costs of logo items for the school and students, build school pride!
- Write an Argus Courier article promoting VOS.
- Work on our grounds (pull weeds, prune roses and bushes). ← plant bulbs? Come to our Garden Party days (one in the Fall and one in the Spring)
- Make an entertaining new video for the Informational Meetings (&/or our website) that interviews students and tours the campus or that has some other theme like “The VOS Neighbors” or “A Typical Day”.
- Take photos for our school website
Any ideas are welcome - please just ask us. In the past a group of students did a wrapping paper fundraiser for the Student Room red chairs, campaigning for a Rebuilding Together VOS student team, an Earth Day group from VOS to attend the Beach Clean Up event, and more.
Other Ideas (not for Valley Oaks):
- Lynch Creek Trail Clean-Up on November 3, 2018, at 8:30am. Meet at Holly Lane green area which is at the end of Ellis Street and Holly Lane. Friends of Lynch Creek are providing gloves, bags, pickers, dumpsters. Pick up trash from N. McDowell to Lakeville. Thanks!!!
- Try this website with ideas just for teens! (Thanks to VOS student, Althea Patchett!)
- Go to the Volunteer Center of Sonoma County website and click on “just for...
- teens” (try Animal Services: a fun opportunity you can do at home: be a “blanket
- maker” for the animals in the shelter - 22inches x 22inches, with washable fabric)
- Go to the Center for Volunteer and Nonprofit Leadership (Marin County) and click on “Find an Opportunity” (one opportunity there is to help out at the 23rd annual Music festival for brain health with Lyle Lovett 9/15/17 & 9/16/17)
- Try going to the Sonoma County Gazette’s long list of volunteering ideas
- Try going to a list of all the watershed and beach clean-up days (use the contact information to get current dates)
- Try going to VolunteerMatch.org and search Petaluma and click on teens or kids (one opportunity there can be done completely online: “use social media to inform others about multiple sclerosis”)
- Jewish Community Free Clinic in Santa Rosa - www.jewishfreecinic.org They are asking for volunteers - phones, and support work for their medical office. So if you are interested in medical field this is a good one for you!
- Coastal Clean-Up Day with Heal the Bay
- The North Bay Science Discovery Day at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds is looking for student volunteers - Sat. Oct. 28. Contact Mike Roa (I ask that the students do 3-hour “shifts,” which leaves plenty of time to explore the exhibits before or after their shift. Interested students (or a teacher-coordinator) should contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Do a food drive for COTS at Thanksgiving
- To get “that last required hour done right away” why not try this website:
- www.freerice.com (thanks to student, Althea Patchett!)
- Do chores for a crippled neighbor or someone in a nursing home
- Sponsor a child from a poorer country by doing Lemonade sales or selling See’s candy and spend time writing letters to the child
- Sponsor an endangered animal through the World Wildlife Fund’s adoption center online by doing a Sally Foster fund raiser. Make a poster about the animal and flyers to help educate the VOS community about endangered animals
- Do The Human Race for the Sonoma Humane Society in May (The Human Race is in Santa Rosa and there is one in Marin called the Bay Area Human Race)
- Organize gift bags for the Mary Isaak Center residents at the holidays