CITIZENSHIP & ESL PROGRAMS
Para leer esta información en español, haga clic en "Translate" en las esquina derecha superior de esta página.
- All of our ESL and Citizenship classes will be offered online (on Zoom).
- Registration will be by appointment August 18 - September 3. Please call Catherine Crotty (707) 477-4071 or email firstname.lastname@example.org beginning Aug. 17 to schedule a registration appointment.
- Classes will begin September 8, 2020. All of our classes are free and books are $20.
ESL CLASSES will be available online for levels 2-4 (high beginner to high intermediate), Monday to Thursday mornings and Tuesday/Thursday evenings.
If you need a Level 1 beginner class or an advanced class, please contact the Santa Rosa Junior College. The SRJC semester begins on August 17.
Our CITIZENSHIP PREPARATION class is designed for people who speak, read and write in English at an intermediate level and are ready to prepare for the naturalization interview. Classes will be offered online on Wednesday evenings and Friday mornings beginning September 9. Email Laine Gen for more information!
The following are resources for Citizenship Preparation:
1) You will need to fill out the N-400 application form to apply for Citizenship, which currently costs $725. Once you send in your application, you will wait about one month to get an appointment to have your fingerprints done. Then, about 8-14 months later, you will get an appointment for your interview in San Francisco. More information is available on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.
2) At the interview, the officer will ask you to read a question and write a sentence in English. You will also be asked up to 10 questions from a list of 100 questions about American history and government. Finally, the officer will go over your application with you orally. This is also a test of your spoken English and ability to understand when people are speaking to you. Here is a playlist of videos to help you prepare.