California State Seal of Biliteracy
The State Seal of Biliteracy will be awarded to graduating seniors from Petaluma High School who have mastered standard academic English and another language.
This seal will be an asset when applying for colleges and for future employment!
How to Get the California State Seal of Biliteracy
- Complete high school graduation requirements, including English language arts requirements, with an overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or above in those classes.
- Pass the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) in English language arts administered in grade 11 at the proficient level or above.
- Demonstrate proficiency in one or more languages other than English (includes American Sign Language) through one of the following methods:
- Pass a world language Advanced Placement examination with a score of 3 or higher.
- Complete a four year high school course of study in a world language and attain an overall grade point average of 3.0 or above in that course of study, and oral proficiency in the language comparable to that required to pass an AP examination.
- Pass the SAT II foreign language examination with a score of 600 or higher.
Note: For students whose primary language is not English, students must be either reclassified as Fluent English Proficient or score “early advanced” on the ELPAC
Talk to your counselor or World Language Teachers for more information.