Board of Education
Board Announcements & Resolutions
Passing of Resolution 2223-27
Resolution of the Board of Education of the Petaluma City (Elementary) and Petaluma Joint Union High School Districts declaring June as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) pride month.
Passing of Resolution 2223-25
Resolution of the Board of Education of the Petaluma City (Elementary) and Petaluma Joint Union High School Districts for declaring May as Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
Duties of the Board
The school district is governed by the school board elected by the district’s registered voters. The board is authorized to:
- Establish policies that direct the school district
- Employ and evaluate the superintendent
- Negotiate with employee groups to determine salaries and benefits
- Approve the annual budget
- Authorize elections on bond proposals and other issues
- Determine the long-range direction of the district
- Communicate with the community
The School Board acts officially only as a corporate group. An individual Board member has no authority outside of a formally called Board meeting.