What is Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?
Our Transitional Kindergarten:
- Is part of the public school system and is free for families
- Uses a unique, specialized curriculum that is based on the kindergarten standards and is designed to support young 5-year-olds
- Is taught by credentialed teachers with training to teach young kindergarteners
- Helps children develop socially and academically
What Happens in a Transitional Kindergarten Classroom?
In Transitional Kindergarten teachers help children develop social skills through activities that build confidence and communication. They also expose children to reading and math in an exciting, interactive way by using educational games to teach children about words and sentences and help them understand mathematical concepts like counting and patterns.
- Classroom facility and teacher: Transitional Kindergartners have their own classroom with their own teacher.
- Length of school day: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are full days of 5 hours and 40 minutes; Wednesdays are short days of 3 hours and 40 minutes.
- After-Care: All TK sites offer after-school care for a fee.
- Shared activities: They participate in all developmentally appropriate kindergarten activities such as music and art throughout the year.
- Curriculum and learning: They learn important new skills like working with others, phonemic awareness, and language development that build on what they may have learned in preschool and help them adjust to the elementary school environment.
- Learning environment: They learn by working with the teacher in small and large groups and also have opportunities for independent exploration.
Why is Transitional Kindergarten Good for Kids?
Transitional Kindergarten provides children with an opportunity to learn in an enriching and academically challenging environment that nurtures their growth. Research shows that children who attend kindergarten readiness programs like Transitional Kindergarten are more likely to do well in school and attend college.
Parents all over California recognize the benefits of Transitional Kindergarten and many parents have already been enrolling their children in similar programs, public and private, for years. Offering Transitional Kindergarten will help all of our kids get the best start possible, with curriculum that is designed just for them.