Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians, WELCOME TO THE 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR!!!
What a long and weird road it’s been since we left for Spring Break on March 13. With so many uncertainties, life has truly been a challenge for all of us; students, families and school staff. Please know that this pandemic has affected all of us in one way or another and, as a school team, we are all in it together. We are here to help in any way possible, and are happy you are part of our community!
We will be starting our year in Distance Learning, but this model will look very different from the way we ended last year. Now that the District has had time to reflect on the spring semester, they have put together a solid plan to educate our students the best we can given the situation.
Our goals are to provide a guaranteed and viable curriculum for all students, as well as increased instruction for all classes. With this, there will be increased expectations for student participation and completion of assigned work. This will be a year of growth for all of us and I hope you can be patient with us as we are all learning a new structure together.
Aeries Data Confirmation- If you have not done so yet, please complete the Aeries Data Confirmation piece on your Aeries account. This is basically equivalent to our annual registration for your student. This needs to be completed by Wednesday, August 12 (the first day of school). If you need assistance, please contact the secretary of your school: SMHS Lill Aspoy-Codiroli <firstname.lastname@example.org> or CDHS Julie Corda <email@example.com>.
Lunch Program Applications- As a large part of our District’s funding is based on data collected from the National School Lunch Program, it is imperative that each and every family complete the Free and Reduced Lunch application form. Our first choice would be that you use the online application; otherwise, you may use the paper/hard copy and return it with your packet. All links are provided below:
- Online application: Go to Titan School Solutions [family.titank12.com] and click “Apply For Meals Today”, then find your district/school, and complete the application. Once you finish, you're done! If you have questions, please see the help documents from Titan linked below:
- Paper/PDF application: Complete the 2020-21 Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals form (PDFs linked below) and return it to your school office.
Parent Square- As soon as it is up and running for our schools, Parent Square will be the only platform we will use to communicate with our families. This system will simplify communication efforts and allow for families to receive communications, notifications, etc. through phone calls, text messaging, or email; whichever the family prefers. If you have already received a message inviting you to join your school’s Parent Square system, please join so you are ready as we make the shift to this platform.
Materials and Chromebook Distribution- Both schools will be scheduling distribution of our annual paperwork packets (to be returned by Friday, August 14) and a chrome book for students that need one. Pick-up dates will be Monday and Tuesday, August 10 & 11. Your secretary will communicate with you regarding a time window for pick-up and the protocol we will follow for the distribution.
Carpe Diem and Sonoma Mountain High School’s Class Schedule
**Individual student class schedules will be included in the paperwork packets
- Students will be required to attend each class for the full hour it is scheduled. This includes having students video and audio enabled for the duration of class.
- Students will be required to be in a learning environment, appropriately dressed, and free of distractions for the entire duration of class.
- Academic time (1:00-3:00 M,T,TH,F) is the time a student can make an appointment with a teacher for extra help or guidance. The teacher will not automatically be online at this time, thus an appointment needs to be arranged. Teachers will be available during this time unless already with a student.
- Most RSP services will be arranged during Academic Time (1:00-3:00 M,T,Th,F)
- Students may be asked to return for Academic Time (1:00-3:00 M,T,Th,F) for items such as academic counseling, extra help, discipline resolution, etc.
- Students that are employed should not be scheduled prior to 3:00 on any school day. Employers will be notified if this becomes an issue.
- As has been our system for years, we are trying not to assign homework. All classwork should be completed during the hour-long class period, some of which will be instructional time and the remainder being work time with the teacher present to help students that need assistance. If assignments are not completed during that class time, then the students will be expected to finish them during Academic Time.
- Students not attending classes or completing work at an appropriate level will not pass their classes, thus not earning credits toward graduation.
While this is still a work in progress, our intent to educate our students to the best of our ability. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns!
Greg Stevenson, MA
Principal, Carpe Diem and Sonoma Mountain High Schools